FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 11/14/2020
DSCC Launches Quarterly Advanced Smartphone Features Report, Provides Share & Forecasts on 5G, Refresh Rate, Notch Type, Chipset, Touch, Cameras, Price Band and Much MoreRoss Young, Founder and CEO
Austin, TX USA -
We have been encouraged by our smartphone supply chain customers to provide more insights on smartphone features beyond the display. We spent the past few months expanding our database of all AMOLED smartphone models to cover not just the display, but other key features and components as well. In total, we now have a database of over 400 AMOLED smartphone configurations with shipments and revenues by the following parameters on a panel/chipset shipment timeline:
- Display Size
- Panel Supplier
- Display Form Factor – Rigid or Flexible
- TFT Backplane – LTPS/LTPO
- Pixel Density
- Aspect Ratio
- Screen Utilization
- Notch Type – Hole/Notch/Pill/Tear/UPC/None
- Refresh Rate
- Touch Type – Add-on vs. on TFE
- 4G vs. 5G
- mmWave vs. Sub-6 GHz
- # of Main Cameras
- Fingerprint vs. Face ID
- Chipset Supplier
- Minimum Chipset Design Rules
- Battery Capacity
- Price Band
- And more
Note, foldable and rollable smartphones are excluded from this database/report and are exclusively provided in our Quarterly Foldable/Rollable Display Shipment and Technology Report. However, we will offer the merged data for customers of both reports.
Some of the highlights of the inaugural report include:
- Q3’20 was the first quarter where a majority of AMOLED smartphone panels shipped were incorporated into 5G smartphones. 5G accounted for 60% of Q3’20 AMOLED smartphone panels in Q3’20, up from 40% in Q2’20, and will rise in Q4’20 to over 70% on Apple. We expect 5G AMOLED shipments on a panel shipment timeline to exceed 200M in 2020, currently estimating around 210M units.
- The iPhone 12 led the way in 5G panel procurement in Q3’20 followed by the Huawei Nova 7 Pro 5G and the iPhone 12 Pro.
- The sub-6 GHz only 5G phone share fell from >90% to 55% on the impact of the iPhone 12 which features both mmWave and Sub-6 GHz.
- The mmWave + sub-6 GHz share surged from <10% in Q2’20 to 45% of Q3’20 5G volumes on the iPhone 12 launch.
- High refresh rate panels accounted for a 23% unit share and 33% revenue share in Q3’20.
- Huawei had over 60% unit share of the 90Hz AMOLED smartphone market in Q3’20. The Huawei P40 was the best-selling 90Hz phone.
- Samsung had an 80% unit share of the 120Hz AMOLED smartphone market in Q3’20. The Note 20 Ultra was the best-selling 120Hz phone followed by the S20 FE 5G.
- LTPO panels got a 4% share of the smartphone market in Q3’20, up from 0.2% in Q2’20.
- The average diagonal was flat at 6.41”, but is expected to decrease to 6.29” in Q4’20 as a result of the 5.4” iPhone 12 Mini.
- 6.5”-6.74” was the most popular size band with a 46% share.
- FHD+ smartphones dominated the AMOLED market with a 90% share.
- In terms of notch type, punch-hole displays led with a 41% share followed by notch and tear shaped.
- In terms of touch type, add-on sensors lead with around a 2/3 to 1/3 advantage over Touch on TFE.
- Quad cameras led triple cameras with a 44% to 43% advantage with dual at 13%.
- Qualcomm was the leading AP chipset supplier in AMOLED smartphones in Q3’20 with a 30% share, up from 28%. Their top 3 customers were Samsung, Vivo and Oppo. Qualcomm gained share at Samsung in Q3’20 reaching over 30%, up from 20%.
- The Apple A14 Bionic was the best-selling chipset in Q3’20 followed by the Samsung Exynos 990, HiSilicon Kirin 985 and the Snapdragon 865.
- 7nm design rules accounted for a 49% share of the chipsets shipped in Q3’20.
- $251-$500 was the leading AMOLED smartphone price band in Q3’20 on a unit basis while >$900-$1000 led on a $US basis.
- Data is provided in a fully featured pivot table covering Q1’19 – Q4’20 providing units, unit share, revenues, revenue share, ASPs, average diagonal and a specification comparison sheet. Forecasts are provided for major parameters out 3 years.
Highlights of this report will be presented at DSCC's upcoming Display Market Outlook Virtual Conference. You can find more about this event at 2020 Display Market Outlook "Virtual" Conference. For more information on our Quarterly Advanced Smartphone Features Report, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
本ページでは、毎週火曜日 (米国時間月曜日) にDSCCグローバルサイトに速報掲載される海外アナリストブログ集から、日本の読者様のお役に立てる直近の分析記事を選抜し、ご紹介しています。 ※ウェブシステムのレイアウト制限により「Press Releases」掲載枠を使用しています※