FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 09/15/2020
Insights into DSCC’s New Quarterly Foldable/Rollable Report with Monthly Shipment Data by ModelRoss Young, Founder and CEO
Austin, TX USA -
We are making great progress on our new Quarterly Foldable/Rollable Display Shipment and Technology Report and still expect to release before the end of the month.
One of the highlights to me is monthly panel shipments by foldable smartphone model. This has been completed from November 2018 to December 2020. Thus, there is now a complete monthly record of foldable panel shipments and it is segmented by more than 20 different parameters such as size, panel supplier, form factor (clamshell vs. in-fold vs. out-fold), cover window material (CPI vs. UTG), CPI and UTG suppliers, AP supplier, AP model, memory, storage, etc. There is also a forecast from 2021-2025 by quarter. Highlights of the monthly shipments whose total are shown in the figure are:
- June and September are expected to be the record months for foldable panel shipments.
- The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will be the #1 best-selling foldable in 2020 followed by the Z Fold 2, the Motorola Razr and the Flip 5G.
- By brand, Samsung will command more than an 80% share. This is higher than previously forecast due to their success along with Huawei’s inability to launch the Mate X2 as a result of US government restrictions.
- Clamshell smartphones are expected to account for a 60% share of 2020 smartphone panels. We expected clamshells to lead due to their lower price points, but their share is higher than predicted as a result of Huawei’s inability to enter the market with the in-folding X2.
- UTG shipments will significantly outpace CPI with more than an 80% share. We also predicted UTG would lead in 2020, but its share is also higher than predicted due to Huawei’s issues.
- Qualcomm has over a 95% share of the 2020 foldable market with the Snapdragon 855+ leading the 865+.
- Nitto has a dominant share in foldable polarizers over Sumitomo.
- Kolon has a dominant share in CPI over Sumitomo.
⇒ 続き (図表入り全文) はこちらから